This week, I was having a bit of a creative block due to high levels of stress. However, I became inspired to paint when I found out that someone close to me was going through a tough time in their life. I often like to paint things for people to show them my love, appreciation, and friendship for them, so I decided to paint something for this close person. I was talking to them about some of their favourite things, and they mentioned how they thought sunsets were so beautiful because they are never quite the same, but each of them is stunning in its own way. I thought that was really beautiful and touching, so I decided to get to work and create a piece that had a sunset. I started with a multi-coloured base that faded with three main colours: blue, yellow, and orange. The nice thing about having colours blend and fade together is that it can create a colour that was not necessarily intended to be there, yet it still looks amazing. The blue and yellow ended up leaving some green streaks in the sky. I then took a dark/royal blue and started to dab my paintbrush where I wanted the cloud to be. Using different colors like white, orange, yellow, light blue, and gray, helped me bring depth and detail to the clouds. Finally, I added the sun in the middle, which was almost purely white paint but mixed with a little bit of yellow. I then added the mountain range at the bottom, and some little birds to tie the whole piece together. I was able to complete this in such a short amount of time (approximately 4 hours) due to its size. This was painted on a 5″ by 7″ canvas, which is tiny compared to some of my other pieces. I think it was a nice change for me because I got to switch up the size of my work, which allowed me to think more creatively to fit more detail into a tiny piece. I then finished off the painting by sealing it in a glossy finish that really made the colours pop.

5×7 Acrylic on Canvas