Our History

This week in class we had a guest speaker present about inclusion and equitable education in BC Schools. She talked about different ways and methods to create an equitable learning environment, and also shared her personal experiences as a parent with equitable learning and making sure her own children were included and accounted for in the education system with their varying learning needs. She gave us, the audience, a variety of prompts for discussion during her presentation. This allowed us to come up with ideas of our own and get the ideas of equitable education flowing through our minds. One of the prompts that I particularly liked, and wanted to discuss today was this:

What technology can you use if the child is averse to touching paper?

Before this presentation, I had never had this situation bright up to me, so it forced me to think of quick ideas on the spot. Being exposed to this situation before being put in it in a real classroom or education system is beneficial for me as well as my colleagues. Integrating more technology in classrooms is much needed as our society becomes more digital every day. Some ideas that I and my colleagues thought of were touch-screen devices like iPads or Tablets, and the possibility of using a stylus/pen that can assist with writing to replace a paper and pencil/traditional pen. Another method that would require no electronics would be giving the student an individual-sized whiteboard. This has always been one of my favourite ways to write things, as it feels so smooth, but also it is a less permanent solution to paper and pencil. Those were just a few of the ideas that were discussed during that presentation.